About Us
Funeral Homes
Order Laminates
Place Obituary
Send Guest Book Tribute
Share a Life Story
Photo Gallery
Printer Friendly Page

DR. ALFRED JOHN WALLIS ALCOCK (published on May 09, 2009)

DR. ALFRED JOHN WALLIS ALCOCK In sadness we announce the passing, peacefully, of our father and mentor on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at the Grace General Hospital. He was blessed with 88 years of life. He is survived by sons, John (Diane), Gerald; son-in-law Michael O'Flaherty; in-laws William MacKenzie, Robert Morris, Ross and Verna Tate, his four grandchildren, Shannon, Megan, Ryan, and Thomas; and numerous nieces, nephews, and friends. Dad was predeceased by his beloved wife Sheila (2006), his daughter Susan O'Flaherty and sister Joyce Mackenzie. Dad was born in Winnipeg, on December 6, 1920 to Alfred and Ruth Alcock and spent his early years in a modest house on Rose Street. He attended Grosvenor School, Robert H. Smith School, Kelvin, and United College. In 1940 Dad enrolled in the University of Manitoba Medical School. Two years into his medical training, he enlisted in the Army as a private and was rewarded for his efforts with two hours of marching practice every week. Dad interned for six months at the Winnipeg General Hospital and completed his internship at Fort Osborne Military Hospital graduating in 1945 as a General Practitioner specializing in Internal Medicine. In 1945 Dad was sent to Brockville for Officer Training, attaining the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. He completed his Military Training at Camp Borden just as the war in Europe ended. Dad was subsequently assigned to the Southampton Military Camp in the south of England to assist in the recovery of the Canadian wounded. He returned to Canada in January 1946 being assigned again to Fort Osborne. It was on the wards at Fort Osborne Military Hospital where Dad met his future wife Sheila. They were married a year later. Dad left the Army in late 1946, returning to Liverpool, England with his wife to complete three years of Graduate Studies. On his return to Canada in December 1949 Dad and Sheila moved into a triplex on Dorchester. He accepted a job at Deer Lodge Hospital where he worked through the 1950's flood. A lot of his time was spent tending to all of the evacuated patients from the flooded Municipal Hospitals. Dad remained at Deer Lodge until the spring of 1951 acquiring two sons along the way, John (1950) and Gerald (1951). By the spring of 1951 Dad had moved to both a new job and a new residence. He accepted a job at the Municipal Hospitals in the Tuberculosis Service, and moved his family to a new house on Overdale Street. In September 1952 he was appointed Assistant Medical Director under Dr. Hildes, just in time for the ensuing Polio Epidemic and the birth of his third child, Susan. Dr. Hildes and Dad headed up the Canadian response for the treatment and care of the Polio outbreak which peaked in 1953 with 1300 cases. In that year the decision was made that all Polio cases would be transferred to the Municipal Hospitals. Dad would get home for one day out of every three weeks. He spent the rest of his career working with and caring for the Polio patients. In 1955 Dad was appointed Medical Director of the Municipal Hospitals, a position he held until his retirement in 1990. During his time as Medical Director he was instrumental in helping develop a home care program for respirator patients, setting the direction for the Municipal Hospitals, and lobbying the Government for the construction of the Riverview Facility to replace the aging King George and King Edward Hospitals. He was fortunate to have been able to travel the world both during his working career, and during his retirement. John and Sheila enjoyed a passion for golf which they were able to realize through club memberships at Assiniboine Golf Club and through numerous golf junkets all over the world. Dad also had a passion for reading, lying on the couch, and dodging household chores! His remaining two years were spent at Sterling House where he took great comfort in the companionship of the McInnes Family. He lived a good life, a full life, and left behind few regrets. He will be sorely missed. The family would like to acknowledge a huge debt of gratitude to the Doctors and Staff on GH-3 at Health Sciences and the staff at Deer Lodge Hospital for their kindness and caring over the last three years. We are also extremely grateful for all the family, friends, and neighbours who wished him well throughout his life. He was the richer for it. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to a charity of one's choice. A Memorial Service will be held on Tuesday, May 12 at 2:00 p.m. at the St. James Anglican Church, 195 Collegiate with reception to follow. Per Ardua Ad Astra (Through Adversity to the Stars) NEIL BARDAL INC. 204 - 949-2200

Share Life Story
Send Tribute
Photo Gallery
Send Flowers
Funeral Homes
Order Laminate
View Stories
View Tributes